Social Networking Statistics
Social Networking Statistics | Does it work?
Does using social media for business actually work in attracting customers? Yes, it does. The sheer numbers of people who are active in social networking sites are mind-boggling. Utilizing social media giants like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn properly will allow you to drive your message out to millions of potential customers. The following social networking statistics detail the audience and how to use each social media network for best business results:
Social Networking Statistics | Facebook
- There are over 600 million worldwide Facebook users, meaning that about 1 out of every 12 people on the planet have an account, and about 1/2 of these folks are active users
- 48% of 18-34 year olds check Facebook when they wake up, with 28% doing so before even getting out of bed. The 35+ demographic is growing rapidly, now with over 30% of the entire Facebook user base. The core 18-24 year old segment is now growing the fastest at 74% year on year. Almost 72% of all US internet users are on now Facebook, while 70% of the entire user base is located outside of the US.
- The average Facebook user has over 130 friends
- Over 200 million people access Facebook via their mobile phone.
- 48% of young Americans admit to getting their news from Facebook
- 75% of Brand ‘Likes’ on Facebook come from Facebook ads
What do these Facebook social networking statistics mean? If you’re a small business, you have a tremendously large audience in which to market. But the key is providing content. 48% of young people get their news from Facebook, so instead of just blasting your message to these people, providing interesting, newsworthy content about your industry to establish yourself as an industry leader. Also, friending is very important, as each friend represents access to another 130 people as well. Finally, if you’re looking to increase your brand, then investing in Facebook Ads is a good idea, as statistics show that 3/4 of all brand likes come through these ads. Through marketing on Facebook, these social networking statistics show that you have the potential to have your information seen by hundreds of thousands of users with minimal financial investment.
Social Networking Statistics | Twitter
Here are some interesting social networking statistics about Twitter:
- In 2011, the average number of tweets per day nearly tripled from 50 million to 140 million, or over 1 billion tweets sent out per week
- Since April, 2010, Twitter has gained 40 million users and a 62 percent increase in mobile use of the platform
- Twitter has also marked a 182% increase in the number of users tweeting from mobile devices in the past year
- 67% of people on Twitter follow a brand (that they will purchase) in comparison to only 51% on Facebook
- 106 million U.S. users as of December 2010
What do these Twitter social networking statistics mean? If you’re a small business creating a brand, you can develop a loyal following on Twitter with over 67% of users following their favorite brands. Plus, the popularity and number of Tweets per day is increasing at an incredible rate, as more than 106 million users are blasting out over 1 billion tweets per week. By using Twitter for business, these social networking statistics show that it can be a wise investment if, as with Facebook, you proceed with valuable content rather than just broadcasting your product.
Social Networking Statistics | YouTube
Here are some interesting social networking statistics about YouTube:
- The average American Internet user watches 30 minutes of video online per day [40 percent increase over 2009] (comScore) Compared to 5 hours of television per day
- As of February 2011, YouTube has 490 million unique users worldwide per month, who rack up an estimated 92 billion page views each month.
- YouTube users spend around 2.9 billion hours on YouTube in a month — over 325,000 years. And those stats are just for the main YouTube website — they don’t incorporate embedded videos or video watched on mobile devices.”
- Speaking of mobile, YouTube Mobile gets over 100 million views per day.
- YouTube reports: “there are more than 400 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link. Meanwhile, over on Facebook over 150 years worth of YouTube videos are watched every single day.”
- Not surprising, 20-to-35-year-old bloggers embed most of the videos (57%), followed by teenagers (20%) and bloggers over 35 (20%).
What do these YouTube social networking statistics mean? If you’re a small business, then creating videos is a good way to get your message out to the masses. People are spending more time watching video on their computers than ever before, and this trend is only going to continue. YouTube is by far the most popular video marketing site online, and streaming video to mobile phones is increasing in popularity as well. These social networking statistics show that by utilizing YouTube to promote your business through educational videos is a great way to gain credibility as an industry expert and to drive traffic to your site.
Social Networking Statistics | LinkedIn
Here are some interesting social networking statistics about LinkedIn:
- LinkedIn has over 100 million users world wide, with 46% of those users in the U.S. alone
- There were nearly two billion people/company searches on LinkedIn in 2010.
- More than 2 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
- 43% of employees at the largest companies in the US (think Gap, Microsoft and Google) report using LinkedIn for professional reasons. Only 11% say the same about Facebook and only 3% say the same about Twitter.
- More than 58% of small businesses that used social media marketing on sites like LinkedIn,were satisfied with their results.
What do these LinkedIn social networking statistics mean? While LinkedIn may not boast the gaudy numbers that other social media sites can, it is clear that LinkedIn specializes in the business aspect of social media, which is what makes LinkedIn a critical part of your social media plan. When people are on LinkedIn and looking for your company, they’re more likely to take action once they find the information, and this is certainly not the case with other social media sites. With over 2 million companies having their company pages on LinkedIn, it is becoming a ‘yellow pages’ for businesses around the globe, and you can’t afford to not have your information and participate in LinkedIn if you are a small businesses.
Social Networking Statistics | Conclusion
In summary, utilizing the big four social media networking sites, like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn, is vital to any marketing plan. The social networking statistics clearly show that successful utilization of these sites will get your message out to millions of potential customers at a fraction of the cost of traditional advertisements.
If you liked ‘Social Networking Statistics’, then you may also enjoy: