Online marketing has a lot of advantages over the traditional advertising methods used by businesses. Although traditional marketing and online marketing both have their place, we are increasingly seeing businesses expand their advertising budgets to include pay per click, social media, and search engine opimization.
To be clear, when you decide to add social media and internet marketing to your agenda, it does not mean that you should discontinue your traditional advertising methods. Online marketing is designed to compliment your offline marketing efforts. Together, a well implemented plan will allow your business to be found by the masses.
The Online Marketing Advantage
The biggest advantage by far though is that just about everything can be tracked and measured. When a consumer sees a billboard, television or radio commercial, or even a newspaper advertisement that leads to a sale, very rarely do the business owners ever know which advertising method brought the customer in. With online marketing a business owner knows exactly how many people are looking at a page, clicking through a site, and where they have come from.
The second biggest advantage for online advertising is that it can be immediate. Within minutes you can set up Google Adwords account or Facebook Pay per click account and start driving people to your site. If your site is equipped to handle sales then you can even be making money immediately after creating your ad.
Online Marketing – Best Bang For Your Buck
Many advertisers are choosing online marketing because of its relatively low cost. Shooting, producing, and airing a commercial can cost 10’s of thousands of dollars, on the low end, and consumers are increasingly becoming immune to these types of ads. While online marketing can drive 100’s or even 1000’s of customers to a product or service with very little expense.
Developing and implementing an effective online marketing campaign for your business is essential to increasing your company’s revenue and staying competitive in the years to come.
7 Main Types of Online Marketing
Here are some innovative marketing ideas to use when creating your online marketing plan:
- Pay per Click– the PPC model used to direct traffic to websites, where advertisers pay the site owner when the ad is clicked. PPC allows you to target your market specifically to the exact demographics required and is a great way to drive your target market to your sites.
- Display Advertising: the use of banner ads placed on a third-party website in order to drive traffic to your own website
- Content Marketing: involves writing quality, keyword-centric articles with the purpose of sharing information or answering questions. The purpose of content marketing is to have potential customers find your information and then converting them into customers and keep current customers as repeat buyers.
- Email Marketing: the art of creating or purchasing a mailing list based on your target markets’ interest and directly emailing a commercial message to this group of people.
- Affiliate Marketing: the use of other internet marketers who have lists of people in which to sell product to sell your product. Your business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought about by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts.
- Social Media Marketing: the art of obtaining traffic or sales through promotion on multiple social media sites.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): a form of marketing that utilized search engine optimization tactics in order to promote websites by increasing their visibility in search engine result pages (SERPs) through the use of either paid placement, contextual advertising, and paid inclusion, or through the use of free search engine optimization techniques such as that which is listed above.
The best online marketing plans utilize multiple, not just one, of the strategies listed above.